Research has demonstrated that the skills involved in acting and the theatrical arts help close the achievement gap, improve academic skills, and advances student’s motivation to learn. Students who study the arts also learn important life skills, including collaboration, imaginative thinking, decision-making, organization, visualization, empathy and tolerance.
Story Theater Company provides several workshops each summer tailored to different age ranges.
- STC’s summer programs are one-week session in which students develop skills in the theater arts while building self-confidence in a safe and fun environment.
- Classes are developed by professional educators and led by a staff of top Performing Arts students and recent graduates from Iowa State University.
- Most of our classes fill up quickly, so get your registrations in early! Early bird discounts available through April 30.
2018 Summer Workshop Information
Registration begins on March 1.
Here’s your first peek at the fabulous summer workshops we will be offering. Select your favorites, mark your calendar, and get ready to register March 1!
- Drama Exploration (grades 1-2): June 11 – 15. Sign your wild thing up for a week of exploration with the classic text, Where the Wild Things Are ! This workshop gives participants an introduction to theater while also encouraging creative risk-taking and promoting self-expression. Together, they will practice cooperation and explore how movement can tell a story. With crafts, songs, and storytelling, this is sure to be one wild rumpus they won’t want to miss! This half-day (9am-noon) workshop includes a final sharing time for parents at 11:30 on Friday. [$110/$95 early registration]
- Intro to Theater (grades 3-4): June 18-22. Monsters and beasts run amuck in this week’s workshop! Learn acting fundamentals and the elements of storytelling while exploring fun tales of monsters and beasts. These tales will form the basis for activities, crafts and short plays. As a bonus, this workshop also includes a backstage tour and free performance of Beauty and the Beast Jr. on Thursday afternoon! This full-day (9am-4pm) workshop includes a final sharing time for parents at 3:30 on Friday. [$195/$180 early registration]
- Acting I: Sideways Stories (grades 4-6): June 25-29. School may be out for summer, but Wayside School is still in session! Welcome to Wayside, home to a classroom full of zany characters and strange events. Louis Sacher’s hilarious “sideways” stories will provide the basis for expanding acting skills as participants perform scenes adapted from the best-selling books. This full-day (9am-4pm) workshop includes a final sharing time for parents at 3:30 on Friday. [$195/$180 early registration]
- Acting II: Detours (grades 5-8): July 9 – 13. Navigating middle school is not easy. “Detours” will give participants the opportunity to delve into acting techniques, script analysis, and character development using scripts about navigating life as a middle schooler. This full-day (9am-4pm) workshop also includes a pizza party following Friday’s class and a sharing time for parents at 5:30.[$195/$180 early registration]
- Acting Lab: Dear Chuck (grades 8-12): July 16-20. A one-act play in one week! Are you up for the challenge? Teenagers are caught in the middle — they’re not quite adults, but they’re definitely not children. Through a series of scenes and monologues, we meet an eclectic group of teen characters searching for their “Chuck,” that elusive moment of knowing who they are. This poignant, award-winning play by esteemed playwright Jonathan Dorf is full of compelling characters and provides a foundation for delving into advanced acting techniques. Previous experience strongly suggested for this one-week acting intensive. This full-day (9am-4pm) workshop also includes a pizza party following Friday’s class and a sharing time for parents at 5:30. [$195/$180 early registration]
- NEW! Disney’s 101 Dalmations Kids (grades 5-7): July 23-27. Disney’s classic animated tale of kidnapping villains and courageous puppies is adapted in this “fur-tastic” musical adventure, Disney’s 101 Dalmations Kids. This week will provide a fast-paced but fun education in musical theater (singing, dancing, and acting) while we work to stage this 30-minute musical. This full-day (9am-4pm) workshop also includes a pizza party following Friday’s class, a sharing time for parents at 5:30, AND a second performance on Saturday at 2:00. [$195/$180 early registration]
- Musical Theater (grades 8-12): July 30 – August 3. Sign up fast to participate in the culminating event of the summer! We focus on what it means to “act” a song and “sing” a scene, with an emphasis on music and text interpretation, healthy use of voice, selection of material, and audition techniques. Each student participates in ensemble pieces, as well as solo material and performs in a showcase at the end of the week. This full-day (9am-4pm) workshop also includes a pizza party following Friday’s class and a sharing time for parents at 5:30. This performance is not one to miss! [$195/$180 early registration]
Classes can fill very quickly. Class size is limited to keep the classes enjoyable for your child and maintain a proper teacher/student ratio. Classes are filled on a first paid basis. Early bird discounts of $15 will be applied if registering by April 30. Discount will be taken off the published tuition during the registration process. Grades are based on the grade the student will enter in the Fall of 2018.
Story Theater Company must receive payment before your child will be considered registered for the class. You may pay online or send a check. Please make checks payable to Story Theater Company and send to Story Theater Company Summer Workshops, P.O. Box 436, Ames, IA 50010. If paying by check, payment must be received within two weeks or the registration will be canceled.
Story Theater Company reserves the right to cancel classes due to insufficient registration.
Please review the Workshop Handbook and FAQ before you register your child for any classes. The staff of Story Theater Company have high standards for the behavior of any participant. Disruptive behavior may result in a participant’s dismissal from the program at the sole discretion of the instructors with no refund of registration fees.
Workshops will be held at Story Theater Company, 615 South Dayton Avenue, Suite 133, Ames, IA 50010.
You can contact us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.