STC’s 2021 Teen Show: Virtual Production Choose Your Heist
Directed by Ellie Seaton
When Maggofiano masterpiece The Bandit comes to the Cosmopolitan Museum of Art for a special exhibition, the museum director is confident that nothing suspicious will happen. But a few less savory characters have other plans. Does this play have catacombs? Yes. Wit and humor? Yes. Explosions? Possibly. Frankly, it’s difficult to say too much about the plot, because it changes every time. The audience helps guide the action via instant virtual poll…and the ensuing storyline could go almost anywhere. What really happens to The Bandit? Only you can decide!
AUDITION & PRODUCTION DETAILS
All rehearsals and perfomances will be conducted virtually via Zoom.
- Auditions will be conducted via Zoom on January 5 , 7:00—8:30 pm. You do not need to prepare anything.
- Sign up for a 30-minute audition slot HERE (including Imagination Team). Auditions are open to ages 13-18. Come ready for a fun time, and feel free to bring any questions you might have about the virtual show process!
- Please fill out an AUDITION FORM ahead of time.
We’re trying something new for the design side of this Teen Show. Instead of breaking up into groups of set, props, costumes, etc., you’re invited to join the Imagination Team! This group will work with the show director/mentors to brainstorm and produce all the creative aspects of the show. How will we make the world of this play work via screen? It’s up to you!
- You may act in the show and be on the Imagination Team, or participate on the Imagination Team only. Please sign up for an audition time either way.
- The Imagination Team will have Saturday meetings and may be asked to attend some rehearsals.
Important Casting Note
Choose Your Heist may be produced with one cast or two casts, depending on interest.
- In the case of one cast: Rehearsals will be from 7:00-8:30 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There will be three performances: Friday, March 5 at 7:00, Saturday, March 6 at 7:00, and Sunday, March 7 at 2:00.
- In the case of two casts: Cast A will rehearse from 6:30-7:50 PM and Cast B will rehearse from 8:00-9:20 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There will be four performances: Cast A on Friday, March 5 at 7:00 and Saturday, March 6 at 7:00, and Cast B on Saturday, March 6 at 2:00 and Sunday, March 7 at 2:00.
- Cast members may also be asked to attend some parts of the Saturday Imagination Team meetings.
- What is the participation fee for this show?
The participation fee for Choose Your Heist is $95 for cast only OR cast/Imagination Team. For Imagination Team only, the participation fee is $35.
- Is scholarship assistance available?
Yes! We have a simple form to apply for scholarship assistance, and there will be an opportunity to fill it out before the participation fee is due, if you’re interested.
Please do not let the participation fee keep you from auditioning. For more questions on this, feel free to ask Julia Feddersen at email@example.com.
- Is there a script for this show? Will there be improv?
There is a script! It isn’t posted here, because we don’t want to share any spoilers with potential audience members. But improv is not a required feature of the show. If you’d like to view a script excerpt before the auditions, please email Julia.
- What kind of time commitment will this be?
Regular rehearsals will be 80 minutes long twice a week. There will also be some Saturday meetings, probably also in the 80ish minute category.
Not all Imagination Team members will need to attend all rehearsals (if not in the cast).
Not all cast members will need to attend all Saturday meetings (if not on the Imagination Team).
The time commitment may vary slightly based on your production role, but overall, it will be less than a regular Teen Show.
Director: Ellie Seaton
Stage Manager: Sydni Lapsley
Imagination Team Mentor: Zoey Lazere
Choicemaster: The audience’s all-knowing adventure guide; probably also knows the play’s characters personally.
Sequious: Manager of the Cosmopolitan Museum of Art. Would like your impression to be that everything is under control and going smoothly, thanks for your concern.
L’oeil: A renaissance art expert in charge of exposition engagements for The Bandit.
Magpie: Has plans to (spoiler alert) remove The Bandit from the museum. It’ll be a tough job…but that’s what plans are for.
Moonpie: Magpie’s slightly less confident but very reliable accomplice.
Cowpie: Totally game for this adventure.
Sullivan: Head of Sullivan Security. Knows more about art—and whatever you thought you were successfully hiding—than you might think at first glance.
Lt. Elty: Cosmopolitan Police Art Department. Concerned that a crime may be attempted in connection with “The Bandit,” but also very busy and in the middle of something at the moment.
Durfley: Sullivan’s brother-in-law’s kid who no one else would hire.