Story Theater Company’s inaugural Ten-Minute Play Festival will be July 6-7, 2018!
Scripts may be submitted beginning March 7 until 7:00 pm April 7. No plays will be accepted after the deadline.
Selections will be announced Monday, April 16. Auditions will be held Saturday, June 2.
Submission is open to all youth in 8th through 12th grades.
Directors for the Ten-Minute Play Festival will be selected from participants who complete Story Theater Company’s Directing Workshop held in April.
Please follow all submission guidelines.
DATES & DEADLINES
Play Submission Deadline: April 7, 2018 at 7pm
Play Selections Posted: April 16, 2018
Writers Workshop For Selected Playwrights: Tuesdays & Thursdays – May 15, 17, 22, 24, 29 at 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm. Registration fee: $60.
Auditions: June 2, 2018
Festival: July 6 and 7, 2018
2018 TEN-MINUTE PLAY FESTIVAL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Please read the guidelines carefully:
- Only youth in 8th through 12th grades may submit plays. You do not need to be a Story Theater Company participant or to have taken a playwriting class in order to submit.
- Playwrights may submit up to two separate plays for consideration.
- Submissions may be made in one of two ways:
- A playwright may submit a paper copy of each script. Scripts must be bound (separately) and have a title page with the name of the playwright, and the playwright’s phone number and email address. The playwright’s name should not appear on any other page of the script. Submitted scripts should go into the appropriate box in the Dayton Ave lobby (Suite 129).
- Alternately, a playwright may submit a script electronically by emailing it to email@example.com. Please type “Ten-Minute Submission” in the subject line and include the title, name of the playwright, and the playwright’s phone number and email address in the body of the email. The playwright’s name should not appear on any page of the script.
- Proper playwriting format should be used. If you are uncertain about this format, here is a useful guide: http://www.playwriting101.com/chapter05. Use a 12-point font.
- Scripts should be no longer than 10 pages in length. Pages must be numbered. Please include a list of characters and a brief description of the setting. This does not count in the page total.
- Content of the plays must be suitable for family audiences.
- TIP: Because of the nature of this festival, it is impossible to produce plays with complicated technical demands. Plays with simpler production requirements have a better chance of being selected.
- Scripts may be submitted any time prior to 7:00 PM on Saturday, April 7th. No script will be accepted after the deadline.
- If selected, the playwright agrees to enroll in the Writers Workshop (fee $60) and attend auditions, rehearsals, and meetings. During the Writers Workshop, playwrights will refine scripts alongside their peers. Each session will begin with a mini-lesson and writing activity. Then the group will read one of the submitted plays together and participate in a roundtable discussion about the piece. Playwrights and instructors will offer their insights and critiques that will not only help the playwright realize the strengths and weaknesses of their writing but also provide the class greater understanding of the writing process.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org